Wednesday, 9 November 2011

The War Against War

10,000 hrs to become a genius?
Back in the time of such greats as Jimi Hendrix music of a political nature used to fly through the mainstream air waves, but today the remnants of the 80's soda pop movement, as once famously described by Bill Hicks, has left a flaccid and rank amateur bunch in their absence.
I used to ask the question "where had the great anti-establishment music gone?" only to accidentally stumble across Michael Franti (before he sold out or got conned by Obama) The Flobots and Bliss & Eso. Where as most of the modern music 'artists' are happy to sing about cheap sexual thrills, one night stands, S&M and coca cola, people such as Bliss & Eso are hard hitting and topical but increasingly unlikely to make it mainstream (unless like Franti you get duped by an actor looking to secure a vote during an election campaign) as shows like X-factor and American Idol continue to flood the arena with processed wannabe's.

I eagerly await Franti's next album exploiting the actor currently in office at the White House.

This is not to say that there have been no good singers or performers, as Leona Lewis has proved, but she is enslaved by the Simon Cowell cash cow and not likely to rock the boat speaking out against the injustices of this world, unlike Lauryn Hill.
Lauryn Hill released a song called 'I get out' which I believe was a direct slap in the face to this system and not before time. Unfortunately I do not believe she has done much about it since and was probably declared crazy by MTV or some other media outlet.

As soon as someone rises to challenge or expose this system (as stock broker Alessio Rastani found out after being interviewed by the BBC recently) the ranks close file and the news repeaters strive to discredit or humiliate.

So I shall continue to dig, share and receive pointers in the direction of artists providing a voice for the silent majority and share the latest effort from Dejavusion in association with Lucas Media, 'The War on War' with a little help from the late and great Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jAh7KyOGw

No comments:

Post a Comment